- About Us
- Social Responsibility
Pharmacist Sándor Balla and the Swiss Dr. Albert Wander established Dr. Wander Ltd. of Pharmaceuticals and Nutriments, registered on 19 February 1913. The new premises of the company – Egis’ headquarters ever since then – were built within a few months in Keresztúri Street and production began at the beginning of 1914.
The international “Humanitarian Exhibition” was held in Budapest between May and August 1926, where Dr. Wander Ltd. was present with its own kiosk, primarily advertising Ovomaltine.
Between 1932 and 1933 the company established its own research laboratory, where scientific research led to the isolation of pure chelidonin alkaloid (from the greater celandine).
In 1940, Dr. Wander Ltd. began to expand by constructing new buildings, modernising its equipment and production.
From 1943, Dr. Wander Ltd. launched the periodical entitled Novitates (Novelties) for doctors.
On 9 February 1950, in accordance with the decree of the People’s Economic Council, five pharmaceutical companies merged with Dr. Wander Ltd., thus the United National Company of Pharmaceuticals and Nutriments (EGYT) was established with 653 employees.
In 1954, the company’s premises tripled; the company acquired land on the other side of Keresztúri Street, which was then moved to its current track. New factories were constructed for the production of vitamin C and chloramphenicol between 1959 and 1961.
Nutriment production started at the company’s new production site located in Körmend in 1973, and at the same time discontinued in Budapest. From 1975, a new production plant was constructed in several phases. The production of galenic drugs was moved to Körmend, followed by the construction of a new tableting and packing plant. The volume of nutriment production constantly decreased in the following two decades, then stopped.
As from 1 January 1985, the company changed its name to Egis. The main reason for this was that the company exported nearly two-thirds of its annual production, and it became increasingly important to have a name that is easy to pronounce and remember by foreign partners. The word Egis comes from the Greek word “aigis” referring to the shield of Pallas Athene and symbolizing a shield, refuge or protection, which is a clear implication to the usefulness of the company’s products.
As from 1991, the name and form of the company changed to Egis Pharmaceuticals Ltd. The primary aim of this change was to enhance capital market expansion. In December 1993, Egis Ltd. performed a private equity capital increase, through which the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) obtained a 30% ownership in the company. The state owner (ÁPV Rt.) sold its shares (that accounted for 28%) to foreign investors on 1 August 1995. As a result of this, the state ceased to have ownership in the company.
In December 1995, the leading French pharmaceutical company, Servier acquired 51% of the shares of Egis.
In 2006 the company reviewed its strategic plan updating the directions and means for production and market development. The complex, long-term reconstruction of production plants and infrastructure began at the headquarters of Egis, along with increasing the capacity of Egis’ production site in Körmend.
Egis Pharmaceuticals PLC entered into a collaboration agreement with Celltrion Group in 2010 for the distribution of biological drugs, which enables Egis to launch the biosimilar versions of 8 high-turnover biological drugs onto its strategic markets.